EM500 MiniMo® BASIC/C-Programmable Ethernet Module
NOT RECOMMENDED FOR NEW DESIGNS
The EM500 MiniMo® device is a miniature standalone Tibbo BASIC/C-programmable embedded module, designed to be used in combination with a standard LED/magnetics RJ45 jack. The combined footprint of the EM500 and a standard jack is only 28.5x18.5mm.
The module's hardware mix — which includes a 10/100BaseT Ethernet port, a serial port, and eight I/O lines — has been carefully tailored to address the basic needs of lightweight network-enabled control devices. If your application has a need to store data in files, an external flash IC can be connected to the EM500. The EM500 also supports Wi-Fi communications (using the GA1000 add-on module).
Compact dimensions, an innovative "vertical slice" mechanical design, low power consumption, and patented dual-function LED control lines make the module an excellent fit for miniature, cost-sensitive designs.
The EM500 is fully supported by Tibbo IDE (TIDE) and a dedicated EM500 platform that covers all hardware facilities of the module. For convenient testing and evaluation, Tibbo offers the EM500EV development system.
The EM500 can be ordered standalone or in combination with an industry-standard RJ45 jack and/or other discrete components required to complete a working circuit.
- 10/100BaseT auto-MDIX Ethernet port (standard Ethernet magnetics are NOT integrated into the module)
- Optional Wi-Fi interface (requires the GA1000)
- One serial port (CMOS-level):
- Baudrates of up to 460,800bps
- None/even/odd/mark/space parity modes
- 7/8 bits/character modes
- Full-duplex mode with optional flow control
- Half-duplex mode with direction control
- Encoding and decoding of Wiegand and clock/data streams
- Eight general-purpose I/O lines; two lines can work as interrupts
- 17.5KB SRAM for Tibbo BASIC/C variables and data
- 512KB flash memory for TiOS and application code
- Optional 1MB flash disk (requires an external SPI flash IC)
- 208-byte EEPROM for data storage
- Three control lines for status LEDs:
- Control lines for two external dual-function status LEDs
- A separate control line for the Ethernet link LED
- Reliable power-on/ brown-out reset circuit*
- "Vertical slice" form factor
- Dimensions (HxWxT): 16 x 18.5 x 6.5mm
- Operating temperature range: –40°C to +70°C
- Firmware and compiled Tibbo BASIC/C app can be updated through the serial port or Ethernet LAN
- Tibbo BASIC/C application can be debugged through the Ethernet LAN (no additional debugging hardware is required)
- CE and FCC-certified
* Added in revision -01 of the module.
The EM500 runs Tibbo OS (TiOS). The following is a list of the features supported by its programming platform:
- button — monitors MD line (setup button)
- fd* — manages flash memory file system and direct sector access
- io — handles I/O lines, ports, and interrupts
- net — controls the Ethernet port
- pat — "plays" patterns on up to five LED pairs
- ppp — provides access to the Internet over a serial modem (GPRS, POTS, etc.)
- pppoe — provides access to the Internet over an ADSL modem
- romfile — facilitates access to resource files (fixed data)
- ser — in charge of serial ports (UART, Wiegand, and clock/data modes)
- sock — socket communications (up to 16 UDP, TCP, and HTTP sessions)
- stor — provides access to the EEPROM
- sys — in charge of general device functionality
- wln — handles the Wi-Fi interface (requires GA1000 add-on module)
- Variable Types: Byte, char, integer (word), short, dword, long, real, string, plus user-defined arrays and structures
- Function Groups: String functions, date/time conversion functions, encryption/hash calculation functions, and more
* Fully supported with the exception of fd.copyfirmware; requires an externally connected flash IC.